Friday, August 7, 2009

Life in my kitchen

My life seems to be lived in the kitchen at the moment.

If I'm not actually cooking, I am fixing a snack or making a packed lunch.
Or packing and unpacking the dishwasher, hand washing the things that to my husbands utter disgust can't go in the dishwasher.
Or fixing snacks for when I take the kids out, because as any parent of small children knows you don't go ANYWHERE without a stash.
Putting away the groceries.
CLEANING the kitchen....yes that does happen, occasionally.

And with my recent decision to make the family's bread instead of buy it, as well as all the other from-scratch cooking I plan on keeping in my repertoire, my hours in the most used room in our house seem to be ever increasing.

And of course my ongoing quest to become a master cupcake maker is not helping matters.

All of which mean the kids come looking for me in there more often.
And if I am doing anything remotely interesting they want to get stuck in too.
And I don't have the heart to refuse them, also, I'm sure it's good for their
development and their future wives will thank me when they find out their hubby's are not afraid to get down and dirty in the kitchen. Ahem.

And they should be able to ice a mean cupcake too.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Unsurprisingly, they both needed a bath after this one, but the resulting mess was delicious!


7 comments:

Lynette said...

It looks like the kids had a blast with the cupcakes! I can totally relate.....I feel like I spend ALL day in the kitchen. I love your blog.
~Lynette

Kath Lockett said...

Those portraits are lovely CatJB - those gorgeous guys *are* going to grow up to be domestic demi-gods and yes, their future partners will be very grateful......

Louisa said...

I too feel like I spend all day in or around the kitchen - usually trying to find the kitchen bench. I have taught the children to rinse their dishes, but know I have to teach them to stack...sigh. Love and kisses to my gorgeous nephews.

Cat J B said...

Yep, long days in the kitchen are relevant to most mums with young kids I imagine Lynette. Especially those with a baking obsession as so many of us have!

Kath, I'm just worried I'll have to give my kids a thermomix when they leave home. I use it so much, I've got to be careful they know how to navigate the kitchen without it. They're going to think onion just chops itself, hehe...

Lou, the dishwasher? I have to teach my HUBBY to stack the darn thing! Stack INSIDE it, not ON TOP of it!

Mandee said...

This is what it is like in our kitchen most days. The boys LOVE to help me out in the kitchen. I love having their help and teaching them! I'm so glad that I have these little helpers! I love the pics of your boys helping! :)

Louisa said...

Hmmm- still trying to persuade Mike I made a mistake not putting a dishwasher in!

Cat J B said...

Tell him yes, it's a mistake. I almost withdrew an offer on a house at the last minute when I realized it didn't have a dishwasher and the kitchen would need a rearrange to get one in. Now it's one of the first things I look for, or at least the empty space left to put one in. I have better things to do than hand wash all my baking dishes, I'd do less baking if I didn't have one. Lazy, I know.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...