Friday, September 4, 2009

Story stones

I came across this little tutorial on Red Bird Crafts for story stones. A very sweet idea and fairly flexible I thought, so H and I have been working on some of our own.


You will need these....

Photobucket

And some of these...

Photobucket

The tutorial used Mod Podge which we don't have here, so I used good old PVA glue.

We made the alphabet, here's some of it...

Photobucket

The glue goes on white as per below but dries clear.

Photobucket

I also managed to produce good old Wendell and Clunk (not quite finished here)


Photobucket

and the possibilities are limitless.

Now H is collecting rocks whenever we venture from the house, with an eye as to what he can turn them into. I love it, as I am a rock collector from waaaay back, and we have geologist relatives on both sides. 


Our collecting ground has a finite and not very diversified supply though, it is the street side rock garden of a local block of units.


Oh and remember how I said the lil guy loves to sit on top of his older brother every opportunity he gets? Here is evidence:

Photobucket

With his wispy blonde hair and innocent expression I sometimes think a halo and wings would not look out of place, but in reality a tail and horns might be more apt. 

They would go very well with his raising-the-dead screech....


8 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

They are gorgeous! - and so are the story stones....

Louisa said...

Riot Art and Craft sell Mod Podge - I have some and it's great. It doesn't bubble paper like PVA. I love the story stones. Give those gorgeous boys a big hug from Aunty Lou!!

Cat J B said...

The boys were very gorgeous today about father's day, very enthusiastic. Our Riot art and craft shut a while back, I'll have to look further afield. The pva bubbled some of the fabric on the stones, so I'd like to try Mod Podge.

Charlotte Scott said...

I came across that same tute a while ago and then forgot all about it. I'll have to give it a go, they look cool! (the stones that is, but your boys are pretty cool too!)

Annette Piper said...

What a fantastic idea!

Laura @ Our Wee Farm said...

those stones are beautiful, I think I'll give them a go for a friends wee boy, who may love them or just throw them at people! ( he's 2 'nuff said!)

Anonymous said...

love the rock art. totally inspired.

Cat J B said...

Ha, yes my four year old plays with them, my 17 month old likes to throw them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...