Sunday, February 14, 2010

Things are fermenting in my kitchen

My kitchen is an interesting place of late as there are quite a few living things in it.

Other than myself of course.

I received a sourdough culture from a friend in exchange for some of my excess kefir grains, and I now keep two starters going; one is rye, the other spelt.

Read about the benefits of sourdough here.

A batch of kefir is always fermenting on top of the fridge.

Kefir is something I've mentioned briefly before and now I make and consume it every day. If you're after some kefir grains for yourself, check out this international list of people willing to share their excess grains. Mine were sent over by a lovely lady in Geelong.

A batch of homemade granola with soaked oats, or muesli as we know it, is drying in my dehydrator after being soaked/fermented overnight. Soaking the oats and flour with some whey (I get mine from kefir) has the same effect as the sourdough process, it breaks down the phytic acid and makes some of the nutrients more accessible.

The dough for lavash crackers (I'll link the recipe when I remember where it came from) that I make with kefir instead of milk or water sat on the bench for 24 hours to do it's work. The kefir produces the same results as using whey. It's now in the fridge awaiting rolling out.......which is a bit of a job so it will sit there for at least another day or two.



And I picked these up at the market today, some cress and radish seeds for growing sprouts


Except that I'm running out of surfaces in the kitchen to keep all these 'pets'.

All this is in the pursuit of good health and a whole foods diet. It keeps me on my toes sorting all this out but I realise people......women mostly no doubt......would have kept many of these balls in the air in times gone by. And that's without the benefit of washing machines and dishwashers and labour saving kitchen gadgets.

All of which I value highly and DO NOT want to give up. There's only so much going back in time I'm willing to do :)

Have read through the Weston A. Price Foundation website and see if you can add in a few new health giving foods to your diet this week.


5 comments:

Mandee said...

I think what you are doing to get healthy is great!
I couldn't imagine living without any of my handy gadgets either! :)

Charlotte Scott said...

Imagine how fit you'd be if you had to stir the copper, wring the clothes, beat the rugs, scrub the floor....or would you just be knackered?! Still haven't got my kefir grains - gotta organise that this week. Exciting!

Annette Piper said...

I'm impressed with all those healthy ingredients. In fact I'm impressed someone is actually doing something in their kitchen. Maybe the urge will return to me one day...

Mandee said...

I have an award for you at http://www.raisingmy4sons.com/2010/02/its-award-time-again.html

Jo Whitton said...

Wow, you're doing well! My little kitchen counters can't hold all the different things at once - I seem to make just one now and then - very slack!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...